Saturday 16 August 2008

Exercise cramps

My son is almost13 very active. He has a problem with leg cramps. A friend who is pharmacist said to give him potassium supplement and have him chew a couple of Rolaids before game. We have eliminated soda on game day and drink water all day. He will then drink power aide during game and more water after game. He still having problems. He is never sick. He is great eater loves veggies and fruit can’t figure it out can you help?

Firstly your son is perfectly healthy. Cramping during or after sport is very common. I am afraid that I don’t know what Rolaids are and therefore what they contain.
If the potassium supplement does not help, I would try a quarter teaspoon of salt and a glass of water about half an hour before the game (DO NOT GIVE MORE SALT THAN THAT). I APPROVE OF Poweraide during the game – it contains both sodium and potassium.
If he still gets cramps after the game the quarter teaspoon of salt plus water can be tried again. The liberal water before and after the game is fine.
Please tell me what is in Rolaids, how he goes and (out of interest) what sport he plays. Tell him I am sympathetic as I was a sufferer with cramps after exercise.

No comments: